As a senior member of the House Appropriations Committee, Lucille has seen how critical federal investment is to spur job growth and ensure the future economic competiveness of our region, the state of California, and the nation. You know that Lucille has been a long time advocate for critical investments in our transportation infrastructure, our public health system, and our educational system and continues to be a champion those issues.
Even as Lucille worked to impact the investment priorities of the nation, she continues to build on her past legislative efforts to improve the health and well-being of the nation’s families.
You may not know that during her time in Congress, Lucille:
- Introduced sweeping maternity care reform legislation to focus on evidenced-based maternity care practices to help achieve the best possible maternity outcomes for mothers and babies;
- Again led congressional efforts to secure annual federal support for the LA River Revitalization to transform the river and bring green jobs to LA;
- Continued her work to combat underage drinking by introducing two initiatives to expand national efforts to educate parents, young people, and health providers on the dangers of this epidemic;
- Authored legislation to address high teen pregnancy rates and provide new school-based and community-based teenage pregnancy intervention programs;
- Continued her advocacy for expanded science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) educational initiatives to get kids interested in STEM and ensure the future scientific competitiveness of the country;
- Introduced legislation in response to a rash of horrific incidents in federal detention facilities, to ensure immigrant detainees, particularly children, have basic minimum health and welfare protections;
- Worked to raise the profile of the double standard in child labor laws, re-introducing her legislation to raise the labor standards and protections for farm worker children to the same level set for children in occupations outside of agriculture.
- Led the effort to secure funding for the development of critical rail safety equipment to prevent deadly collisions.
To ensure that these initiatives and all our efforts on behalf of America’s working families continue to have a future in the next Congress, we hope you will join her today by supporting her work and her efforts to help win back the House and maintain the majority in the U.S. Senate.